I like lists. Hence my decision to post a list of my favorite reads. I have two different types of favorites though: 1. the kind that is worth buying to add to my bookshelf, that I found meaningful in some way and that I will read over and over again throughout my lifetime, and 2. the kind of brainless reading that doesn't require any thought or concentration. I will only read these once and won't purchase them to own, but I enjoy them nonetheless. To be honest I do much more reading in category 2 than in 1, but category 2 isn't really worth sharing. And category 1 makes me look smarter anyway.
I wholeheartedly recommend these books to anyone, but not if you're looking for action, suspense, etc. These, for the most part, need to be digested slowly. Most are non-fiction, with a few fiction and children's books thrown in.
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail -Bill Bryson
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
The Anne of Green Gables series - L. M. Montgomery
We Took to the Woods - Louise Dickinson Rich
A Walk Across America - Peter Jenkins
The Walk West: A Walk Across America 2 - Peter Jenkins
Never Cry Wolf: the Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves - Farley Mowat
Watership Down - Richard Adams
Taash and the Jesters - Ellen Kindt McKenzie
Travels With Charley: In Search of America - John Steinbeck
Silent Spring - Rachel Carson
An Adirondack Passage: the Cruise of the Canoe Sairy Gamp - Christine Jerome
A Sandcounty Almanac (Outdoor Essays and Reflections) - Aldo Leopold
Johnny Tremain - Esther Forbes
the All Creatures Great and Small series - James Herriot
Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village - Sarah Erdman
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good choices! We've read a lot but not all of them, maybe I'll post my list.
Paris
I too am inspired to post a list...
Post a Comment