Tuesday, February 3, 2009

blood, sweat, and tears

I thought it might be about time to post something about my pottery. For anyone who doesn't know, I began pottery my senior year in college and continued on and off after graduation. Two (or so) years ago I started working for another potter who gave me free studio space. So now I "throw" (make pots) whenever I want. But here is the sad part of the story: I rarely find the time to make anything! When I do make time I get frustrated because I'm not getting any better, and I'm not getting any better because I never practice! Vicious cycle. So it seems that I finish 2 or 3 pots every 6 months or so..... but here are some pics of my "recent" work, recent being anything in the last 2 years! I'm still experimenting with my "look" but I get most of my inspiration from nature. Everything is wheel thrown if you're wondering.


Teapot - one of the most complicated forms I've attempted... lots of steps!

I like bowls. They have a lot of "glazable" surface area, it's almost like painting on canvas (not that I've ever done that!). They are also very useful!



One of the only vases I've made that I actually like. This was made in two pieces.

This is becoming one of my favorite glaze patterns. It is similar to picture of the planter at the end of my post.

Trees are another favorite.


1 comment:

Dawn said...

Very nice Rach. Have you considered taking and posting pictures of your numerous displays in your home? I have yet to see any of your work I don't like. :)