Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hurray!!!

So it looks like we bought a house. That sounds like such a lame statement for something that is such a big deal for us. After 3 years of gradually worsening apartments we were ready to have a place of our own. The area we wanted to live in was pretty specific. I cannot stand cities and would rather rent for the rest of my life than live in one. But more importantly we wanted to be near the kids that we work with and minister to through Youth for Christ. I was soon discouraged because we quickly found out that anything in the area we wanted was way out of our price range, unless it was falling down or the size of a postage stamp. However I never should have doubted that God provides (isn't it funny how we have a hard time learning that lesson?). Or that patience is a virtue, for that matter (thank you Mrs. Chagnon). I have no idea why this place didn't sell before we got to it, but it is perfect for us. The house isn't anything too special, it needs some work, but it is certainly livable. It's old and not too big, both of which I consider good things. My favorite attributes are the large dining room and living room and all the porch space. But here is the best part: we got two acres of land with it, most of which is a very nice yard! We can have a garden again, and a dog, and somewhere to hang our hammocks....!!!! I can't wait. Another plus is there is 70 acres of empty land behind us that we can use for walking, cross counrty skiing, etc. God is good!! If everything goes well we close on Nov. 7th, or sooner if the bank moves quickly. I am trying not to freak out about all the money we will be spending and debt we are running toward. What was that lesson I was talking about earlier....? ( :

Anyway, here's a picture. I'm already planning a housewarming party.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you guys, Rach! Don't worry about the money too much.Like my Grandpa always told me, "You never see a u-haul following a hearse.You can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy the money while you can!" (And he's an accountant!)

Mrs. G said...

Congratulations on the house! We're very happy for you and couldn't agree more about city living!

Paris

victoria said...

oh my goodness, it's SUPER cute.

Anonymous said...

Yay Rach! I love the house, and the porch on the back! I can't wait to come and visit. :)

Robyn said...

Rachel! I stumbled across your blog and have added it to my favorites list. I love the house! I can't wait to see it and what you do with it. I sure hope we're invited to the house-warming!