Monday, March 23, 2009

Whats been going on lately...

A lot has been going on lately and I haven't posted in awhile so I'll get right to it!

Two weekends ago when the weather was beautiful we spent 5 hours doing yard work. Lots of raking! I enjoy doing work like that and being out in the nice weather. I'm excited to see what kinds of things come up in the gardens here since this is our first spring in our house. I don't know my flowers very well, but I suspect I have some tulips coming up, and I know there are lots of irises, although those aren't really doing anything yet. There is also an abundance of those cute little white flowers that I love, I've heard them called Lily of the Valley although I'm not sure if that's their correct name. And someone told me I have crocuses coming up, whatever those are. We will also be ordering our vegetable garden seeds soon, can't wait!

Our friends from Montana were in town the past couple weeks so we were able to spend a little time with them, which is always too few and far between! They spent the night at out house (I love sleep overs!) and then we took them to the airport at 5:00 in the morning, whew!

Rob is on a climbing trip in Red Rocks Nevada this week, so I've planned to be away both weekends he is gone since I don't really know what to do with myself when he isn't here ( : This past weekend was a family weekend. I went down to visit my parents and Trevor was home from college on break, so I had some nice family time.

This coming weekend I am going home again, to see friends this time. Rachael is having a baby shower on Sunday, and we are having a girls slumber party Saturday night. I am soooo excited about that, I miss my girls, and having girl time!!! I don't get to hangout with my Rochester friends very often and girl time here is almost non-existent so this will be a treat!

My spring concert for community bad is coming up this week. I've enjoyed the pieces we are playing this semester. My favorites are Danny Boy and an arrangement that includes Baby Elephant Walk, Pink Panther, and Moon River. Our concerts are never great, but I really enjoy playing all the same!

And finally, in between all that I have been crafting a lot. Its been a long time since I've done very much crafting, but I've been on a marathon lately!

My friend showed me how to make rag rugs, this is my first attempt and its going pretty well so far. This isn't finished yet as you can see, I'll try and remember to put up a photo of the finished product.


I finally figured out something to do with all the fabric scraps I have. I've always been an awful sewer, so that wasn't really an option. The larger pieces will probably turn into more rugs, and the smaller pieces into cards! A funny side note on that, when I lived back at home my friend Rachael was my crafting buddy. Now we live too far away to do that anymore, but not a day after I started making these cards I received a card in the mail from her, and sure enough, it was made out of fabric ( : Crafty minds think alike.


This is another new thing I am trying, I call it paper cutting, i don't know it thats the official term. I cut sillouettes out of black paper and then glue them onto the white for a nice contrast. I think they will look good with a frame.



And of course, my pottery. I have a lot of stuff that needs to be glazed and need to get on that!



I have been considering putting my creations up on Etsy.com for sale. They seem pretty reasonable but I need to look into it more. I'll keep you posted on that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great blog entry Rach! I love reading about all the stuff you're doing. I need to get a price list from you on the pottery. I want to get started on my "custom" set.

Dawn said...

Very nice....I never know why or when the craft urge will hit but sure seems you are in that mode! Hopefully that website will pan out for you.

The Hopwoods said...

Seriously you need to rub off on me. I know you are so creative, but I keep forgetting how talented too! I love it all... the rag rug was different from how we (wes' mom and sister) were doing them, but looks good, I like the color choices. Talk soon!! I miss you so much Rach, its killing me...(note:whiny voice) I want girl time too!! I'm going to a sleepover tonight, but its with highschool girls... sigh... it will have to do!! Love you!!

Jer said...

hey, talk to v about etsy, as she just started it. she'd be able to help you im sure. you should totally do it. your stuff is great.

Mrs. G said...

I like your design on the platter, it reminds me of the weeping willow motif popular in early sewn samplers. Beautiful!